Red Rocks is a rock structure 10 miles west of Denver where concerts are given in the open-air amphitheater. There is a large, tilted, disc-shaped rock behind the stage, a huge vertical rock angled outwards from stage right, several large outcrops angled outwards from stage left and a seating area for up to 9,450 people in between. The amphitheater is owned and operated by the City and County of Denver, Colorado and is located in Red Rocks Park, part of the Denver Mountain Parks system. Geologically, the rocks surrounding the Amphitheater are representative of the Fountain Formation. Originally the place was known as the “Garden of the Angels” (1870s-1906), and then as “Garden of the Titans” during the Walker years (1906–1928). The park, however, had always been known by the folk name of “Red Rocks”, which became its formal name when Denver acquired it in 1928. The amphitheater’s rocks are named “Creation Rock” on the south, “Ship Rock” on the north, and “Stage Rock” to the east. Red Rocks Amphitheater was designed by Denver architect Burnham Hoyt. Public, organizational and private performances have been held at Red Rocks for more than 100 years. The earliest documented performance at the amphitheater was the Grand Opening of the Garden of the Titans, put on by famed editor John Brisben Walker on May 31, 1906. Featuring Pietro Satriano and his 25-piece brass band, it was the formal opening of the natural amphitheater for use by the general public after Walker purchased it with the proceeds of his sale of Cosmopolitan Magazine. Upon the full construction of the amphitheater to its present form by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the venue was formally dedicated on June 15, 1941. It has held regular concert seasons every year since 1947. The first performance of each season is the Easter Sunrise Service, a non-denominational service on Easter Sunday of each year. The earliest notable rock-and-roll performance at Red Rocks was by The Beatles on August 26, 1964.